Filled full of wetlands, nature reserves, ruined Roman cities, and plentiful biblical sites, you will be spoilt for choice on your holiday. The famous Dead Sea is surrounded by stunning mountains, or you could visit the Rea Sea resort and relax for a few days.
Of course on any trip here you must visit Petra. Immerse yourself in the history of this lost city that the Nabataeans carved into the rock face. Enter through the Siq and just gaze in awe at the wondrous rock formations. There is no shortage of breath-taking sights to see on a break to Jordan.
Jordan Tourist Board: The official website for the Jordan National Tourist Office – a useful resource for planning your trip to Jordan.
Know Before You Go: Travel advice from the FCO for Jordan.
Things to see and do
- Walk through the Siq in Petra.
- Journey to Jerash and marvel at the Roman ruins.
- Float in the salty Dead Sea and revel in the health benefits.
- Hike through the landscape of Wadi Rum.
- Dive in the Red Sea and view the beautiful fish and coral.
- Explore St Stephen in Um er Rasas and gaze at the mosaic floors.
- Try your hand at wildlife spotting at the Azraq Wetlands.
- Discover Qasr al-Azraq, a desert castle and once used as Lawrence of Arabia's headquarters.
- Head to Mount Nebo and drive along the Kings Highway.
Festivals and events
- Enjoy the only festival of its kind in the Middle East, the Amman International Theatre Festival. (March)
- Challenge yourself to participate in the Dead Sea Ultra Marathon. (April)
- If you are a fan of motorsport, arrange to see the Jordan Rally. (April)
- Watch concerts and films and listen to poetry at the Jerash Festival of Culture and Arts. (July – August)
- Bask in the revelries of Souk Azaz, a huge summer music festival held in Amman. (July- August)
- Learn more about local folklore and culture at Global Village (July)
- Observe the Muslim festival of Eid Al Adha, also referred to as the festival of sacrifice. (November)
GMT + 3Book now