There are also lots of historical things to enjoy including medieval castles dotted around the country. Old Riga has some architectural monuments which attract many visitors.
Latvia Tourist Board: The official website for the Latvian National Tourist Office – a useful resource for planning your trip to Latvia.
Know Before You Go: Travel advice from the FCO for Latvia.
Things to see and do
- Latvia’s attractions are well worth exploring by car; these include some beautiful coastal towns and beaches, the caves and castles of the Gauja Valley and the cosmopolitan capital Riga.
- Picnic beside Latvia’s highest waterfall at Kuldiga, on the banks of the River Venta.
- Visit Latvia's largest holiday resort and its long sandy beach. The resort has a wide variety of hotels some of which have spa facilities and treatments.
- Hike the trails of the national parks.
- Ski or snowboard down the Vidzeme Hills.
Festivals and events
- Forest of Sounds Festival held in Riga is made up of performances by quirky and unconventional musical artists. (May)
- The Extreme Sports Festival held in Andrejsala on the beach showcases BMX, skating among many others. (May)
- French Spring Festival has performances by both Latvian and French musicians in venues across the capital, Riga. (April-June)