The Netherlands also has some great locations for a city break such as Amsterdam or Rotterdam. The mixture of canals, stunning architecture, cafes and beautiful landscape make this the perfect place to explore.
Things to see and do
- Rent a bicycle and explore the various cycle routes in the country; the flat landscape is ideal for cycling.
- Take a glass topped boat trip round Amsterdam’s waterways and canals.
- Visit the Hoge Veluwe national park.
- Drive across the Afsluitdijk, a 30km barrier which was built to close off the Zuiderzee from the North Sea. The barrier created the fresh water Ijsselmeer. Motorists can stop at the lookout point halfway across it.
- Take a ride on the high speed lift up Euromast in Rotterdam and dine in the restaurant at the top of the tower, which overlooks the harbour.
- Stroll around the city of Gouda following the cheese map showing the main landmarks around the city and Weighhouse Museum which is associated with cheese making in the city.
Festivals and events
- Celebrate Carnival in Holland with a variety of merriments. (March)
- Queens Day celebrates the birthday of the former Queen Juliana; it is one of the largest and most vibrant celebrations in the Dutch calendar. (April)
- Visit Utrecht and see the Trajectum Lumen, where churches, bridges and canals and covered with creations made with light. (April)
- The Kunsthal Cooking Festival of Real Taste is a three day celebration of food and drink held in Kunsthal. (September-October)
- The Netherlands Military Tattoo, is held annually in Ahoy. (September-October)