With acres of vineyards covering the landscape, along with a variety of fruit trees dotted throughout this beautiful island, Sicily is truly glorious and definitely worth exploring with car hire.
Italy Tourist Board: The official website for the Italian Tourist Board – a useful resource for planning your trip to Sicily.
Things to see and do
- The beaches in Sicily are quieter than those on mainland Italy and are great for a relaxing beach holiday.
- Take part in a cooking class, run by a Palermo restaurant, some classes include a visit to one of the city’s colourful street markets to shop for ingredients which is then followed by a cooking lesson.
- Go hiking or cycling – you can go on an organised tour in the favourite areas of Madonie, Nebrodi mountains and Mount Etna.
- Go on a winery tour in the western part of Sicily near Marsala, which is one of the world’s largest contiguous grape growing regions, where many of Sicily’s better known wineries are located.
Festivals and events
- The Feast of Saint Sebastian is celebrated in many towns and villages throughout Sicily. (January)
- Come along and enjoy the Tour of Etna an international cycling race. (February)
- Visit the Citrus Fruit Festival and sample some local wares. (March)
- Take a trip to Maletto and enjoy the Strawberry Festival. There is a market full of strawberry products along with music and dance. (June)
- Taormina Arte held in Taormina is a popular celebration of music and dance. (June, July & August)
GMT +1Book now