In one trip you can combine activities on the beach, in the mountains or in the city, and car hire will help you get around and see and do all of these things easily during your visit.
Madeira Tourist Board: The official website for the Madeiran Tourist Board – a useful resource for planning your trip to Madeira.
Things to see and do
- Hike along a coastal path and see the dramatic cliff top views along the Madeira coastline.
- Play golf at the Palheiro Golf Club, which offers spectacular panoramic ocean views from its 500m high location.
- Try deep sea fishing; there are a number of companies which offer fishing tours to suit all budgets.
- See the 16th century cathedral, Museum of Sacred Art and the Botanical gardens in Funchal.
- Visit Santana, a well-known village in Madeira, known mainly for its unusual triangular houses.
- Visit Machico with its 15th century parish church, the Chapel of Miracles and the small 18th century Fort.
- Drive towards to the summit of Pico do Arieiro; there are some fantastic panoramic views here.
Festivals and events
- Visit the Madeira Carnival and enjoy a great street party. (March)
- The Madeira Flower Festival, Funchal. (April)
- Enjoy the Madeira Island Open at Porto Santo, part of the PGA European Tour. (May)
- Visit Funchal during the Great Historic Parade celebrating its nomination as a city. (August)
- Take a trip to Porto Santo and enjoy the Columbus Festival dedicated to the well-known explorer. (September)
- Sample some of the world-famous Madeira wine at the annual Madeira Wine Festival. (September)