You can see wild horses, flamingos, seals, go fishing, go mountain climbing, or you can simply enjoy a relaxing holiday on the coast of the island. By hiring a car you can take in the beautiful scenery on your drive between your chosen points of interest at your own pace.
Sardinia Tourist Board: The official website for the Sardinian Tourist Board – a useful resource for planning your trip to Sardinia.
Things to see and do
- Relax on one of Sardinia's beaches.
- Visit the roman ruins and mysterious grottoes; one of the best is ‘Grotta Nuova' near Cala Gonone on the east coast.
- See the pink sand beach at Porto Ferro.
- Visit Cristano and its ruins of the Phoenician city Tharros.
- Visit the Goddess of Fortune Temple in Porto Torres.
- Visit Alghero and the old city walls and the seven defensive towers that still stand tall.
Festivals and events
- During the Bogamari Sea Urchin Festival enjoy some freshly prepared sea urchin, wine and bread in Alghero. (January – February)
- Enjoy the Carnival which lasts for three days, always ending on Shrove Tuesday. (February)
- Visit the Artichoke Festival in Uri which allows you to sample artichoke based dishes and share recipes. (March)
- Sant’Efisio held annually in Cagliari is said to be the biggest and most colourful religious procession in the world. (May)
- The Archers Tournament in Iglesias involves 24 archers dressing in mediaeval attire and showing off their skills, followed by a tournament a week later. (August)