There are many different mountains, forests, coasts and deserts to enjoy here and South Africa offers many things to do, whatever your interests. Hiring a car will give you the flexibility to explore many different areas of the country at your own pace.
South Africa Tourist Board: The official website for the South African National Tourist Office – a useful resource when planning your trip to South Africa.
Know Before You Go: Travel advice for South Africa from the FCO.
Things to see and do
- Visit Cape Peninsula where you can whale watch and visit Table Mountain.
- Follow the South-East coast and drive along the Garden Route.
- Visit Johannesburg to eat out, shop and enjoy the entertainment.
- Visit Kruger National Park to try and spot the big five; rhinos, elephants, lions, buffalos and leopards.
- Go to the beach front at Durban for some sand and sea.
- See Robben Island and the freedom struggle sites at Soweto and revel in South Africa’s history.
- Drive along the Panorama Route and enjoy Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve, Gods Window, Mac Mac Falls, Long Tom Pass and the Berlin Falls.
- Visit the Kwa-zulu Natal battlefields where the many battles of the Anglo-Boer War and Zulu Wars took place.
- See the Elephant Coast and enjoy the 21 different eco-systems, home to iSimangaliso Wetland Park and Hluhulwe Mfolozi Park.
Festivals and events
- Kaapse Klopse is an annual minstrel festival held in Cape Town. (January)
- Namaqualand Daisies are truly breathtaking and can be seen in Northern Cape. (August - October)
- The Sardine Run which can be seen along the east coast of South Africa. (May to July)
- Klein Karoo Nasionale Kunstefees an arts festival held in Oudshoorn. (March - April)
- The Knysna Oyster Festival raises money for charity whilst encouraging visitors to try oysters. This can be observed along the Garden Route. (July)
GMT + 2Book now