Visiting the capital Vilnius is a must, with its baroque style, you are sure to fall in love with this diverse city. By hiring a car, you will be able to take in the scenery in this country of scenic lakes and forests at your own pace.
Lithuania Tourist Board: The official website for the Lithuanian Tourist Board – a useful resource for planning your trip to Lithuania.
Know Before You Go: Travel advice from the FCO from Lithuania.
Things to see and do
- Enjoy the various Mardi Gras festivities, with processions in towns and cities all over Lithuania; the procession in Vilnius is the most renowned.
- Explore Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania. Grediminas Square in the centre of the city is a popular attraction; the square’s main feature is the cathedral.
- Visit Trakai, which is situated on the shore of the picturesque Lake Galve, it has a castle dating from the 14th century.
- Visit the Curonian Spit National Park where you can explore large sand dunes and several pine forests.
- Do a bungee jump off Vilnius’ TV Tower.
Festivals and events
- The Republic Winter Festival is held in the village of Ignalina and features dancing, music and feasting. (January)
- Independence Day is a national holiday celebrated throughout Lithuania. (February)
- Mardi Gras marks the end of winter and takes over Vilnius. (February)
- At the International Folklore Festival visit a craft fair, listen to traditional music and singing, and taste traditional dishes. (May)
- The Cucumber Festival is certainly unique, held in Kedainia, this enables you to sample cucumber based food and even a liqueur made with cucumber. (July)