Italy's impressive motorway network allows rapid progress across the country which means that you can get around and visit many points of interest, making car hire a great way to get you around.
Italy Tourist Board: The official website for the Italian Tourist Board – a useful resource for planning your trip to Italy.
Know Before You Go: Travel advice from the FCO for Italy.
Things to see and do
- View the ancient ruins of Rome.
- Visit the Trastevere area of Rome, well known for its bars, restaurants, and nightclubs.
- Wear a costume and mask at the Venice Carnival.
- Go to the bare back horse race on Piazza del Campo in Siena. The 'Palio' event is held twice a year in July and August.
- Sample Chianti in Siena, this wine region in the centre of the area of Tuscany should not be missed.
- Float down the Grand Canal, no visit to Italy is complete without visiting Venice.
- Visit the Isle of Capri, the views from the top of Capri are breath-taking.
- Cycle through Tuscany, a beautiful area of Italy.
Festivals and events
- Medieval Easter Celebrations in Assisi, Umbria are a sight to behold. (March - April)
- Medieval Parades in Palio, Asti, Piedmont with horse races. (May)
- Medieval Football Match in Florence, Tuscany. (June)
- The world famous Plio Horse Race in Palio di Siena in Siena. (July)
- Joust of the Quintana in Ascoli Piceno, The Marches. (August)
- St. Gennaro Feast in Napoli, Campania. (September)
- Wine Festival in Marino, Latium. Wine-pouring fountains and lots of wine from the Roman Castles Area. (October)
There is normally a 1-3 Euros service charge automatically added to the bill, therefore most will tip up to the next round figure. It is generally accepted to leave a 5% tip if the service warrants it. A tip of 10% is considered very generous.
Tipping taxi drivers and/or hotel staff is uncommon in Italy but it is appreciated when you do so. A few Euros is acceptable. Most establishments will always give you a receipt and you must take it even if you pay cash. This is to prove that you have paid and that the owner's taxes add up.Book now