All of volcanic origin, they have diverse landscapes and the main tourist resorts attract lots of visitors every holiday season. With so much to do along with some beautiful scenery, hiring a car for your trip to one of the Canary Islands will ensure that you can make the most of your holiday and enjoy all that a visit to the Canary Islands can offer.
Canary Islands Tourist Board: The official website for the Canary Islands National Tourist Office – a useful resource for planning your trip to the Canary Islands.
Things to see and do
- Explore Santa Cruz, the capital city of Tenerife. This cosmopolitan city has rich architecture and good art and history museums.
- Visit the lively city of Las Palmas with its rich cultural life of opera, dance and music festivals.
- There are good opportunities for walking on all of the Canary Islands; it is a great way to explore the islands’ various landscapes and great number of large volcanic territories.
- The warm clear sea provides good conditions for underwater fishing, diving, snorkelling, and swimming.
- Visit one of the numerous tennis courts, golf courses, and riding stables dotted around the islands.
- Ride a camel to the volcanic region in Lanzarote.
Festivals and events
- At the Saint of Candelaria Festival there are celebrations to commemorate the saint of the Canary Islands. (February)
- Dance the night away at carnivals across the Canary Islands. (February / March)
- The Festival of Hearts held in Tejina. (August)
- Jesus Christ in La Laguna Festival is a very traditional festival, with lots of fireworks to keep the kids entertained. (September)