Some of the islands also offer great trails for hiking using old mule trails between rural villages or up the highest summits. Most holidaymakers who head to the Greek Islands are looking to have a beach holiday at one of the many resorts. There are plenty of beach-based activities to take part in.
Greek Islands Tourist Board: The official website for the Greek National Tourist Office – a useful resource for planning your trip to the Greek Islands.
Things to see and do
- Go windsurfing, the best places for this are Vassiliki on Lefkada, Kefalos on Kos, Kokkari on Samos, Lalisos on Rhodes, Chrisi Akti on Paros and Agios Georgios and Mikri Vigla on Naxos.
- Hike the Samaria Gorge in Crete.
- Go sea kayaking; this is becoming a popular activity around the islands.
- There are good places for scuba diving in Corfu, Kalamata, Kalymnos, Mykonos, Preveza, Rhodes, Skiathos and Zakynthos.
Festivals and events
- At midnight on the Saturday before Easter, Mass is held which draws huge crowds with processions of candles. (April)
- Visit the Medieval Rose Festival for a taste of the past. (May)
- In Argostoli, Kefalonia there is a celebration which marks the Union of the Ionian Islands. (May)
- Watch a variety of Greek and International artists at the International Music Festival of Argostoli, Kefalonia. (August)
- The Hippocrateia Festival takes over Kos Town each year and features a selection of outdoor concerts and live music, along with Greek dancing and theatrical performances. (July)
- Visit Agios Mattheos in Corfu for its terrific celebrations which are unmissable. (August)
- Carnival time throughout the Greek Islands is fantastic. (February)
Tipping in the Greek Islands
Some people will round the bill up to the nearest figures. For example, if the bill comes to 17 Euros, it would be normal to round it up to 20 Euros.
Tipping is optional but most of the waiters/waitresses do receive quite low wages and some do rely on tips to supplement their income.
Check the service charge (sometimes around 13%) is not included as this will be a deciding factor on if you leave tip.
Should you decide to leave a tip, 10-15% is sufficient.
GMT +2Book now